> a really simple problem related to the above problem

It all comes down to being able to have sage
print an html('string') to the notebook,
and having the page refresh without having the user
cause an event, (e.g., by pressing shift-enter).

Another example might be GeoGebra: It has
a javascript interface. Suppose the notebook programmer
wants a sage function that updates the display
at intermediate stages of some computation.

thank you,
-gerhard

PS., I have since found that the Google Maps API is
able to load a .kml file. I suppose I could write a hack:
Have a javascript with a timer that periodically reloads
this file, while having the sage code updating the file!