This does not answer your question but might help your friend.
The command matrix_plot (eg, "sage: matrix_plot(random_matrix(GF(389),
10), cmap='Oranges')")
might be a simpler function to use if he just wants to test how good
the linear code works on an "image".

BTW, since you are the author of the SAGE search function
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=017384562579735769466:s27byrlaffu
here is an interesting experiment: type "matrix plot" (without the quotes)
and see what you get. I think there are more hits on the plot of the movie
The Matrix than on the command matrix_plot, which is strange since
it should be SAGE specific. Maybe the wikipedia hits should have a lower
weight somehow?