Hi,

I ran across the following post and thought I would pass it along.

http://avinashv.net/2008/04/python-decorators-syntactic-sugar/

For those of us who were weened on Maple, the post describes a very
nice way to get the "options remember" functionality that is built
into Maple in python (and Sage). Maybe there is another (or a better)
way to do this in Sage proper, but I couldn't find one looking through
the documentation.

For those that don't know what "options remember" does in Maple, it is
a declaration in a proc which tells Maple to build an "input" ->
"output" dictionary for the proc. So if you call a proc you've defined
with an input for the first time, it calculates it as usual. The
second time you call the proc with the same input, it just looks up
the output from the table, bypassing the possibly time consuming
calculation. This is very useful in alot of computational situations,
especially combinatorial functions that are defined recursively (like
the fibonacci example given and profiles in the post above).

-BFJ