On May 4, 8:29 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Art <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  I am unsuccessful at using rpy through the sage notebook. A Traceback
> >  is appended. I am assuming this is the sage interface to R (through
> >  'from rpy import r'). I have spent the last few hours learning the
> >  rudiments of sage, python, R, and rpy, in that order. I am using the
> >  Ubuntu Hardy with the Linux binary distribution:
>
> >  sage-3.0-ubuntu64-opteron-x86_64-Linux.tar.gz
>
> >  I have separately installed R-2.6.2 and the latest debian package for
> >  rpy (as there is an Ubuntu bug that generates the same Traceback on
> >  importing rpy). I am wondering how to fix this problem as it looks
> >  like my installation of sage uses it's own local version of
> >  everything, but I'm not sure. I've tried different set_options()
> >  unsuccessfully.
>
> >  Before hacking into the sage distribution and given I have no idea
> >  what I'm doing, I was wondering if this is indeed the interface to R
> >  and if there is a quick fix for this problem. I have read through some
> >  of the trac tickets and postings on your forums but I don't know
> >  enough at this point to solve this myself.
>
> Just "for fun" could you also try using the default
> (non rpy) r object in a fresh Sage session:
>
> sage: r('2+3')
> [1] 5
> sage: r([1..100]).mean()
> [1] 50.5
>
> See the examples here:
>      http://wiki.sagemath.org/R
>
>  -- William
>

> >  from rpy import r
>
> >  Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> >   File "/home/art/.sage/sage_notebook/worksheets/admin/7/code/2.py",
> >  line 6, in <module>
> >     from rpy import r
> >   File "/home/art/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sympy/
> >  plotting/", line 1, in <module>
>
> >   File "/home/art/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rpy.py", line
> >  134, in <module>
> >     """ % RVERSION)
> >  RuntimeError: No module named _rpy2062
>
> >       RPy module can not be imported. Please check if your rpy
> >       installation supports R 2.6.2. If you have multiple R versions
> >       installed, you may need to set RHOME before importing rpy. For
> >       example:
>
> >       >>> from rpy_options import set_options
> >       >>> set_options(RHOME='c:/progra~1/r/rw2011/')
> >       >>> from rpy import *
>
> --
> William Stein
> Associate Professor of Mathematics
> University of Washington
> http://wstein.org

Thanks for the pointer to the default R interface. I had read about it
somewhere in your docs but couldn't find it again.

Not sure how I missed #3011. I solved the original problem by
installing debian package python-rpy (1.0.1-4) and copied _rpy2062.so
to sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages and it works.