Well, the design is somewhat different to start with: in Sage, you
have to declare variables explicitly (i.e. with var('x,y') or
whatever), but then symbolic variables can automatically act like
functions (as in the usage/bug above).  In mathematica, anything
undefined is _assumed_ to be a new symbolic object.

Strings behave in a funny way in mathematica.  They are usually
evaluated to symbolic expressions.  Here is a (hopefully) relevant
example, setting the value of something to a string and then using it
in a function:

In: a = "test"
Out: test

In: f[x_] := x^2
In: f[a]
Out: test^2

The output is misleading since the returned object is really
Power["test",2] but that is displayed the same way that the symbolic
expression Power[test,2] is.

Somewhat relevant to this are the (IMHO) very nice substitutions,
rules, and patterns in mathematica (although the syntax is pretty
odd).  As a very simple example, the command:

In: {x, x*y} /. {{x -> 1, y -> 2}, {x -> 2, y -> 3}}

returns

Out: {{1,2},{2,6}}

The Sage subs command is quite weak compared to such substitutions in
mathematica.  One can do very complicated condition substitutions,
regular-expression like matching, etc.

Cheers,
Marshall