Are you certain that you are getting the new path correct? I've
thought that this happened to me before, and it turned out that I
wasn't specifying the new notebook directory correctly.

I have had two mysterious cases of worksheets disappearing from the
noteboook (in the sense that they didn't show up but the files were
still there), but not what you are describing.  And I have moved the
notebook location around.

-M. Hampton