On May 7, 2:41 am, Amir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can I start a Sage session from C? I would need to pass commands, set
> and get variables, and cleanly terminate the session. I would like to
> do this as a mathlink module to call Sage from Mathematica.

As a fan of both Sage and Mathematica, I found this to be an
interesting question.  For example, the graph theoretic
tools in Sage, via Networkx and N.I.C.E., are generally
better than those currently in Mathematica.  The graph
visualization seems to be better in Mathematica at this
point.  So it's nice to use the tools together. I've got a
sample notebook that does a couple things like this here:
http://facstaff.unca.edu/mcmcclur/Mathematica/Sage/

It's pretty basic at the moment - mainly proof of concept,
but it demonstrates a workable approach. The basic idea is
to use Pythonika to access Sage via pexpect.  I do have a
question, as I'm fairly new to Python and Sage.  I have
several Python lines that look something like this:

import pexpect
child = pexpect.spawn('/Applications/sage/sage')"
child.expect('.*')
while child.after[-6:] != 'sage: ':
    child.expect('.*')

The point behind the while statement is to continue
reading until the next prompt is reached.  I wonder
how robust this is?  Or whether there is a more
standard approach?

Mark