On May 26, 4:12 pm, Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Robert,

> Dear Michael, Is it worth me trying to "port" sage-3.0.2 to cygwin?

Up until the 2.5.0 release of Sage we did support building Sage on
Cygwin, but then support was dropped due to numerous small problems as
well as libSingular not working on Cygwin. Since then we have decided
to fix those issues [especially since we are doing a native Windows
port] and in Sage 3.0.2 there were numerous Cygwin fixes by William
and me. As is you don't even get close to a working Sage, but the plan
is now to have a working Cygwin port again until the end of Dev1 in
about a months. For the current status look at

http://wiki.sagemath.org/windows

and specifically

http://wiki.sagemath.org/windows/cygwin-issues

> And if so, would you be prepared to point
> me to the bugs that you mentioned in your e-mail and tell me how to
> fix them?

The above wiki page has some specific issues that  need fixing and
often has a hint what is wrong, even though many people do not
consider my notes to be precise [I write them down as a hint when I do
porting and then remember what I did from the key words ;)]. So feel
free to attempt to build Sage 3.0.2 on Cygwin. You need to do an
"export SAGE_PORT=yes" before you start since otherwise the build will
not even start on Cygwin - otherwise people who do not read release
notes attempt to build it and then complain once they fail.

> Or, should I rather wait for a future release?

Any patches/fixes are welcome and now is the time to help out on the
Cygwin port before all the fun work is done by other people ;)

> Thank you and
> regards. Robert

Cheers,

Michael