Hello,

I just noticed that as of Sage 3.0.1, the notebook has default
secure=False. While that is all well and good for localhost use, I run
a Sage notebook server, and I need to set secure=True. I would happily
do so explicitly, except that I have my computer configured to
automatically start the sage notebook from the command line, and I
have not been able to get Sage to change the secure setting from the
command line.

My current working Sage command is:

/Applications/sage/sage -notebook ~/.sage/sage_notebook 8000 greg.bard.edu

but starting with Sage 3.0.1, this opens an insecure server, which on
startup tells me that I must be crazy. According to the notebook?
help, if I wanted to run in secure mode I would need to use the
command

/Applications/sage/sage -notebook ~/.sage/sage_notebook 8000
greg.bard.edu 0 True

However, sage is complaining about the "0", presumably for the
port_tries parameter, giving me the traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/sage/local/bin/sage-notebook", line 14, in <module>
    notebook(*sys.argv[1:])
  File
"/Applications/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sage/server/notebook/notebook_object.py",
line 143, in __call__
    return self.notebook(*args, **kwds)
  File
"/Applications/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sage/server/notebook/run_notebook.py",
line 266, in notebook_twisted
    port = find_next_available_port(port, port_tries)
  File
"/Applications/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sage/server/misc.py",
line 91, in find_next_available_port
    for port in range(start, start+max_tries+1):
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'int' and 'str'

Is it treating the max_tries parameter as a string?

-- Greg

--
Gregory D. Landweber
Assistant Professor of Mathematics