Here's the situation: in some sage code that I'm working on, I have a
variable, say 'output_format', which tells sage  how to print certain
kinds of objects (in particular, they are elements of a vector space,
and output_format essentially tells sage which basis to use and how to
print the basis elements).  Right now, users can change the value of
output_format explicitly, but I would like to add a method for the
class defining my elements so I can type
"x.basis('blah')" and have the output printed as if output_format were
set to 'blah'.

In lisp, I could do something like

(let ((output_format 'blah'))