Thanks for creating sage! I can really see how useful sage could be
for engineering purposes. I've been playing around with sage for a
couple of days and I have had trouble with the following:

  1) simplifying equations with exponents:

sage: var('vgs vt n')
(vgs, vt, n)
sage: f = (vgs - vt)^n
sage: f^(1/n)
((vgs - vt)^n)^(1/n)
sage: f^(1/n).simplify()
((vgs - vt)^n)^(1/n)

    It doesn't seem to easily simplify the exponent. I'm guessing it
is a limitation of the CAS engine used. I also tried the same test
case on YACAS and it didn't seem to want to simplify the exponent
either.

 2) I don't see a lot of examples on how one could take data and fit
it to a mathematical model. I realize that I could write some python
code and use scipy along with numpy; but I was wondering if there was
an easier way.  I'm a circuit designer and I like to fit transistor
models within a certain range of operation to enable mathematical
analysis of circuit operation. So the models I'm trying to fit are not
terribly complicated (functions like above and perhaps some
exponentials and polynomials).  I've fitted functions in Excel using
the solver function and least squares method; but was looking for more
of a Pythonish,script based solution and then I stumbled upon Sage. I
didn't see any examples though. I'm also interested in optimization
algorithms that might have a place in Sage as well.

 3) One of the nice things about Sage is that it interfaces to a lot
of packages. I see the potential challenge of keeping those packages
updated within the Sage releases. I've noticed that matplotlib, numpy,
sympy are all out of date. For those of us who like to use the latest
python packages, can we simply replace the older packages in the site-
packages directories with an updated version? Is there a recommended
way of updating incrementally small python modules without breaking
the SAGE interface to those python modules?

  thanks!

   Jon