On Jun 10, 7:55 am, lciti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Michael,

Hi Luca,

> thank you for your reply.

No problem.

> I think it is something related to gmp. It is the only one that falls
> in this error.
> After the fix it gets configured for a x86_64 machine and not for a
> core duo
> (and as you said it is probably suboptimal) but at least not as a
> generic i386,
> that would be (besides suboptimal) also uncompatible with pari that
> gets
> compiled for x86_64.

Yes, but if you set the host manually you get the generic C code which
is bad performance wise.

> I attach all the info you requested and some more I think useful.
> It is a big bunch of data I hope it is still readable.
> The line "Do we have a Core2 CPU?... No" looks weird as well as maybe
> "Patching gmp-h.in".

That has been added by our script since we patch in Core2 optimized
assembly code not in GMP that roughly double the gmpbench score. The
gmp-h.in patch is also harmless since it deals with an inline issue.

Since your CPU is obviously a Core2 we also need to fix the detection
script.

> The line "config.status: linking ./mpn/generic/add.c to mpn/
> add.c" (and similar)
> after the patch become s."... /mpn/x86_64/add.c to mpn/add.c".
> Thanks again.

ok.

> [...]
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>
> part of install.log concerning the configuration of gmp (before the
> fix):

> GCC Version
> gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.6/specs
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --
> infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --
> disable-checking --with-system-
> zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-
> java-awt=gtk --host=x86_64-redhat-linux
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-9)
> Patching gmp-h.in (fixes OSX 10.5 issues and gcc 4.3 problems)
> Do we have a Core2 CPU?... No
> Moving .asm files that are to be replaced to .asm.disabled ...
> Copying new .asm and x86_64-defs.m4 files ...
> Copying new gmp-mparam.h...
> Done.
> You can now go to /home/lciti/opt/sage-3.0.2/spkg/build/gmp-4.2.2/src
> and configure/make/make_check as usual.
> Fast gcd patch:
> Moving files that are to be replaced to *.orig ...
> Copying new files across...
> Done.
> checking build system type... pentium3-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... pentium3-unknown-linux-gnu
> config.status: linking ./mpn/generic/add.c to mpn/add.c
> config.status: linking ./mpn/generic/add_1.c to mpn/add_1.c
> config.status: linking ./mpn/x86/p6/aors_n.asm to mpn/add_n.asm
> config.status: linking ./mpn/generic/sub.c to mpn/sub.c
> config.status: linking ./mpn/generic/sub_1.c to mpn/sub_1.c
> config.status: linking ./mpn/x86/p6/aors_n.asm to mpn/sub_n.asm
>
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>
> part of install.log concerning the configuration of SQLite (and many
> others are similar)

> GCC Version
> gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.6/specs
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --
> infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --
> disable-checking --with-system-
> zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-
> java-awt=gtk --host=x86_64-redhat-linux
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-9)
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>
> $ grep "host system" ~/opt/sage-3.0.2/install.log
> checking host system type... pentium3-unknown-linux-gnu   <--- this is

Ok.

> checking host system type... x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu       <--- this
> is iml

Ok.

> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>
> $ config.guess
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Is that with the config.guess from gmp? What does a "vanilla" gmp
4.2.2 do? I have similar problems with gmp 4.2.2 on a recent Core2
Quad Mac and so have have been unable to fix the issue except by
setting host which obviously is bad for performance.

> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>
> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 7
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5430  @ 2.66GHz
> stepping        : 6
> cpu MHz         : 2666.840
> cache size      : 6144 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 4
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 4
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 10
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
> nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cx16 xtpr
> bogomips        : 5339.36
> clflush size    : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes   : 38 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:

<SNIP>

Cheers,

Michael