On Jun 21, 7:35 pm, dbk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Don,

> I'm getting a strange configure problem building 3.02 on fedora 9
> running on X86_64 system;

The problem is not FC9 specific, see below for more info.

> First I get;
> GCC Version
> gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Target: x86_64-redhat-linux
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --
> infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/
> bugzilla --enable-bootstrap --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --
> enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --
> disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c+
> +,java,fortran,ada --enable-java-awt=gtk --disable-dssi --enable-
> plugin --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0/jre --
> enable-libgcj-multifile --enable-java-maintainer-mode --with-ecj-jar=/
> usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --disable-libjava-multilib --with-
> cpu=generic --build=x86_64-redhat-linux
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 4.3.0 20080428 (Red Hat 4.3.0-8) (GCC)
>
> which is OK, not great but OK, then when the gmp build starts I get;
>
> checking build system type... pentium3-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... pentium3-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
> Makefiles... no
> checking ABI=32
> checking compiler gcc -m32 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer ... no
> checking compiler gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer ... yes
> checking compiler gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer has sizeof(long)==4...
> no
> checking compiler icc -no-gcc ... no
> configure: error: could not find a working compiler, see config.log
> for details
>
> this doesn't make sense to me?? why ABI=32 and gcc is working fine. I
> tried to build gmp from the the sage shell but get the same result.
>
> Also, it seems like configure should have cpu to core2 since I'm
> running on a Xeon X5482 system??

Yes, this is a known issue with gmp since it uses cpuid and not the
extended cpuid call, so certain new Core2 cpus (like the one you have)
is identified as a  P3. We are about to switch to our own gmp for
called mpir where we fixed that issue. The plan is to have MPIR in the
next Sage release 3.1.0, but that depends on a couple things we need
to do this week. If MPIR we will likely back port the fix into the gmp
4.2.2 release.

The whole discussion can be found at

http://groups.google.com/group/mpir-devel/t/c31f89ed1683d383

As a short term solution you can force the host to be something
specific, but that slows down performance by a lot. Let me know and I
can dig out the exact info for that.

> Anyone have any ideas.
>
> Thanks
> -Don