I don't think that sin(10) is a "surd", though it is certainly
irrational and probably even transcendental.

If you look up definitions of "surd" online you get a quite incredible
collection of conflicting answers, many of which (even in high school
revision guides) are almost complete nonsense.   But one thing I am
confident about is that surds are algebraic!

This is not strictly relevant to the point made by Brendan, but please
can we have this put into the FAQ without using the word "surd"?  You
could change "surd value" to "symbolic value" here.

John Cremona