On Aug 24, 2:22 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Joshua Kantor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > 1. I would recommend looking at phcpack, it is designed to exploit the
> > special nature of large polynomial systems, however, supposedly I
> > believe it is sometimes difficult to compile, I've never used it but
>
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> It is written in ADA.

And building the GNU Ada compiler from sources is a giant pain unless
you have the GNU Ada compiler to bootstrap. I did build some phcpack
binaries for x86-64 Linux and it has a tendency to segfault when run
on say Debian if the binary was build on a FC8 box and vice versa. I
mainly wanted an Itanium binary, but cross compiling the ada toolchain
was just plainly not worth it for it.

So in conclusion: great code if you can use a binary that works, if
you need to build from sources it plainly sucks. The lesson learned
here is not to use exotic languages since the (alleged) benefit from
using Ada is far outweight by the fact that the practicality of
building the code :)

<SNIP>

> William Stein

Cheers,