Bob Wonderly wrote:
> I run Sage on my Mac rather than on the web. I often bring up the
> previous command and edit it then rerun it. The editor is very tedious
> in that the only way I have figured out how to move the cursor around in
> the text is one character at a time using the left and right arrow keys
> and the back-space-delete key. Given a several-line for-loop to edit
> this can be frustrating.
>
> Am I missing something obvious to everyone else? Is this a feature of
> the Mac rather than Sage?

Sage uses GNU readline to implement the shortcuts on the command line.
Some documentation about the keyboard shortcuts is here:
http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rluserman.html

> A less-than-satisfactory work-around is to copy/paste to a programmer's
> editor, do the change, then copy/paste back to Sage.
>
> Which leads me to another and related question. Are the editing
> capabilities of Sage when used with cells (as described in some of the
> Sage ref's) on a web server significantly better? If so would I be well
> advised to install web server software on my Mac and use Sage that way?
> (I don't have 24x7 fast web access...)
 >
 > Is that installation process complicated?

You don't need to install a webserver.  Sage comes with one.  You can
try it out by just typing

sage: notebook()

which will start the web server that sage comes with and open up your
browser to the right page.

Sage also comes with a wiki and other web software besides the notebook.

> Bob Wonderly
>
> PS So far you support people have done just fine answering this old
> programmer but Sage newbie's questions. Thanks.

Welcome to the community!

Thanks,

Jason