I don't understand aspect_ratio for 3d plots, or maybe there are bugs.
If I do (from the notebook interface)

sage: var('x y')
sage: Q = plot3d(sin(x+y), (-3,3), (-2,2))
sage: Q.show()

then I get a nice picture, with a labeled frame showing x going from
-3 to 3, y from -2 to 2, z from -1 to 1. The different axes are scaled
differently, so that (for example) the x and y axes have the same
length. Also,

sage: Q.show(aspect_ratio=[1,1,1])

works as expected: the variables are displayed in the appropriate
ranges, and the axes seem to all be scaled the same. But if I do

sage: Q.show(aspect_ratio=[1,1,2])

then I get a picture with a labeled frame showing x going from -3 to
3, y going from -4 to 4 (!), z going from -2 to 2 (!), the x and z
axes scaled the same, and the y-axis is at about half the scale of the
x-axis.  This is not at all what I expected; I was thinking that
[1,1,2] would mean that the z-axis would be doubled (or maybe halved)
in scale, compared to the other two.

I'm puzzled; can anyone explain this? The documentation for
aspect_ratio in show says

(default: "automatic") -- aspect ratio of the coordinate system itQ.
Give [1,1,1] to make spheres look round.

This is not helpful to me.  (And what does itQ mean? Is it a typo? Oh,
I see, it should have said "itself", but "self" got replaced by "Q".)

  John