On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Matt Rissler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there any way for the user to set the bounding box on plot3d?  The
> basic idea is I don't want the full z-values for the function and
> would like to crop some of them off.  The best I've come up with so
> far without hunting through source files is:
>
> y=var('y')
> f=lambda x,y: min(x^2+y^2,4);
> plot3d( f, (x,-2,2), (y,-2,2))
>
> If not, where do I start trying to implement it?

This is not implemented, so I'm really glad you are volunteering
to do it.    You should start by proposing a notation for specifying
the bounding box, i.e., what precisely would you type into
sage to get the behavior you want, once your implementation
is done?

How does this work in Mathematica? Often we at least check
what Mathematica does before implementing something new
in Sage, since this makes porting coding from Mathematica
easier.

The code you write will probably go in
   SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/sage/plot/plot3d/plot3d.py

William