On Oct 7, 11:38 am, Paul Zimmermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>        Hi,
>
> a question of a colleague from my lab:
>
> can Sage solve linear systems A*x=b, where A is a matrix with positive
> integer coefficients, b is a vector with positive integer coefficients,
> and the unknown vector x is searched over the positive integers?
>
> I guess this is more or less equivalent to integer linear programming (ILP),
> see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer_linear_programming#Integer_unknowns.

This may be a silly question, but integer linear programming seems to
be about maximizing some quantity relative to constraints given by a
matrix equality (or inequality), where everything is happening over
the integers.  How does this relate to finding integer solutions to a
matrix equation?

I find myself wanting to do something similar: find *all* solutions to
Ax = b, where A, x, and b have non-negative integer entries.  I'm
trying to figure out if the various responses here will help me.  In
the situation of interest to me, I know that there are only finitely
many solutions, and I know one solution.

  John