I also do not have time to do this myself. The idea of the
"manual_plot" is that I might be able to do a seperate command, but
for the foreseeable future I will not have the time to understand the
current plot command well enough to improve it; I've tried and failed
already.  Instead, I have ended up writing my own commands for things
like multiple axes when I need them for critical things like
publications.

If you think its a bad idea to put such code in Sage itself, I won't
try to.  Some of it is likely to appear in some @interact examples I
am working on for modeling circulatory systems.

-Marshall