There are two ways to use Sage, via the notebook or via a command
prompt. Which is better depends on personal preference, but I don't
think they can be used at the same time (without starting a new copy
of Sage), as the prompt console is used by the notebook server.

To get the prompt, one should type something other than "notebook"
when the virtual machine starts up. However, especially from Windows,
it's probably easier to use the notebook. Click on "new worksheet"
and a blank worksheet will come up. There is a box where you can type
input, and hit shift-enter (or click on the evaluate link) to run it.
(The first time may take a couple of seconds as it's starting up sage
in the background at that point).

I believe most of this is discussed in the tutorial, which is a very
good place to look.

- Robert