On Nov 23, 2008, at 6:01 AM, Paul Zimmermann wrote:

>> Unfortunately, I know little about symbolic
>> integration techniques. Does anybody have suggestions for references?
>
> there are basically two techniques for symbolic integration:
> 1) table lookup in some classes of integrals. Maple is quite good at
> this.
> 2) recognition of some inputs that (may) admit an integral in a
> given class,
>   and computation of that integral by an algorithm. Axiom is quite
> good at
>   this.
>
> For 2), a good reference for the transcendental case is the
> following book:
>
> @Book{Bronstein97,
>  author =      "Manuel Bronstein",
>  title =       "Symbolic Integration {I}. Transcendental Functions",
>  publisher =   "Springer",
>  year =        1997,
>  volume =      1,
>  series =      "Algorithms and Computation in Mathematics"
> }
>
> Unfortunately Manuel Bronstein died before finishing vol. II on the
> algebraic
> case, which is the difficult one. As far as I know, he did implement
> his
> algorithms in Axiom, including (partly) the algebraic case.

Thanks. It looks like my library has both regular and electronic
versions so I'll
take a look. The first case might be easier now with the new symbolics
and the pattern matching it has. It seems like looking at FriCAS is a
good idea too.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo