> Question for all: is there a good reason for writing cdef functions?  Or
> should we make all cython functions cpdef?  Python convention seems to
> be to expose the internals of the class, but just mark (with "_" or
> "__") the functions that are considered internal and may change without
> warning.

There are definitely some cases where you have to -- for instance, if
the return type of your function is something like "int *", you're not
going to be able to cpdef that. (Or, if you can, it's news to me.) I'm
sure there are other reasons -- Rob will probably chime in with some
as I'm typing this message. :)

That said, there are a *huge* number of functions that do just need
"cdef" turned into "cpdef" in the sage library.

> I'm facing the doctesting dilemma brought up here with some other cdef
> functions in another class.

Yeah, I agree that seeing "def _doctest_this_cdef_function" and
writing a little wrapper can be annoying, but I just don't think
there's another way around it in some cases.

-cc