On Dec 3, 2008, at 4:50 AM, Simon King wrote:

Dear Tim,

On Dec 3, 7:15 am, Tim Lahey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
No, because I want instead of something like
[(x-2,2),(x-3,3)]

I'd like
[(x-2)^2,(x-3)^3]

You may do this:
Start with a factorization of something:
   sage: f=factor(16200)
   sage: f
   2^3 * 3^4 * 5^2

"for X in f" means that X runs over the pairs (2,3), (3,4), (5,2). And
out of such pairs you can construct a factorization for each prime
power, i.e.:
   sage: [Factorization([X]) for X in f]
   [2^3, 3^4, 5^2]
Is this what you wanted?

Yes, and it's what someone else told me earlier in this thread. However,
in the case of polynomials one has to be careful that it isn't expanded
when raising to the power.

Thanks,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey