Tim Lahey wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2008, at 10:14 PM, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> It would be better to call the numerical_integral function
>> that is already in Sage, which Josh Kantor wrote, which
>> is pretty sophisticated.  It uses GSL and a C callback function.
>> Then improve the implementation of that function to also use
>> scipy.  To easy steps instead of one hard one.
>
> Scipy probably just calls quadpack so it's likely best to have
> the numerical_integral function call that instead of scipy. I
> was thinking from a UI perspective, though. If one already has
> an integral defined and they attempted to integrate it and failed,
> one could pass that to a function to evaluate it numerically. I don't
> know if that's what the numerical_integral function does.

Both GSL and scipy call quadpack.  I don't see any reason for us to
interface directly with quadpack if it's already been wrapped in scipy.
  I doubt there will be much of a speed difference, and I'd rather not
maintain a wrapper when the scipy guys are perfectly willing to maintain
a wrapper.

The numerical_integral function calls various routines in GSL, depending
on the integral.

Jason