What I am after is to interact with sage from yet another language.
To do so, I need to start python from my own code.
Interestingly, when I invoke the python interpreter,
I do have access to all of the sage functionality,
as well as commands added by my code, e.g.,
      sage:  foo
      <module 'foo' (built-in)>

      sage:  foo.invoke_test( float(3.), int(5) )
      243

Invoking the notebook from the python prompt also works:
I can carry out computations from the notebook as before,
but I no longer have access to the added commands:
      sage: foo
      NameError: name 'foo'  is not defined

Shutting down the notebook returns me to the
command line interpreter and everything works as before.

At a guess, I interact with a vanilla python process from the
notebook,
so I am missing some mods I have to do to some code somewhere?

-gerhard