I think I ran into this last week.  It might be that the problem is
different types of newline/carriage return tickets - i.e. what in
python are represented by '\n' and '\r'.  I think that attach has
trouble with .py files that have both kinds of newlines.  For some
reason this does not plague .sage files, if I recall correctly, so try
changing the extension to ".sage".

If that works, or someone can confirm this bug, I will file a ticket.
Its probably not hard to fix.

-Marshall Hampton