Hi,

There is axis() which sets/gets the axis limits in addition to xlim()
and ylim. I don't know if it is exactly want you want as it is not a
method on the plot object. I think it returns the limits of the
current plot or figure.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/pyplot_api.html#matplotlib.pyplot.axis

using the trac example:
A=random_matrix(RDF,100)
A.numpy()
import pylab
import numpy
B=A.numpy().astype(float)
im = pylab.imshow(B/numpy.max(B),  origin='upper',alpha=0.6)
lim = pylab.axis()

Cheers,
Adam