thank you john,

it's early morning in australia
and I just woke up realising
i had forgotten that what i am entering into my notebook is python
not mysterious sagese configuration script

I think I need to go do some python tutorials, what you've said makes
perfect sense, and is exactly the behaviour I would have expected,
except that in the example:

x = var('x')
def splitAgain(n):

    if n < 2:
        return n
    else:
        return 2-n

plot(splitAgain(x),0,4)

the evaluation of splitAgain(x) passed to plot(),
is neither a reference to splitAgain,
or an evaluation of splitAgain(x) for some value of x,
but 2-x, as this draws 2-x

this is a behaviour pattern I haven't encountered before, I am a bit
mystified by it and would like to understand it, is this a python
feature to do with : x = var('x') , or is something specifically to do
with plot()?

cheers
and thanks for the help
mathew