On Mar 12, 7:17 am, Stan Schymanski <schym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,

Hi,

> I had a great idea (so I thought) about upgrading in the background
> while the sage server is still running. Here is what I did, but it
> didn't work for some reason: In OS X 10.4, I shut down the server
> briefly, changed into the sage directory, ran "cp -r * /newdirectory"
> and restarted the server at the original location. Then I wanted to
> run sage -upgrade in the new directory, but before doing so, I wanted
> to test whether it still worked. As always after moving the sage
> folder, it started with regenerating the install PATH, but this time
> something went wrong and sage does not run from this folder. Did I do
> something obviously wrong? Usually, I just copied the folder in the
> Finder and it mostly worked but this time I wanted to do it more
> elegantly and it failed. Should I have added a particular option to
> the copy command? I attached the error messages below. Thanks for your
> help already!

Never us cp to copy Sage unless you know what you are doing, but use
tar. Another method is

 ./sage -bdist x.y.z

and you end up with a tarball in $SAGE_ROOT/dist. What happens in your
case is that cp turns the link devel/sage -> devel/sage-main into a
copy. So delete sage and link it to sage-main.

> Stan

Cheers,

Michael