Is pynac still being actively developed?  From its web pages it seems
not; anyway I would have thought that most of its functionality would
have found a better and better-maintained home in Sage.

Anyway, I've just discovered that all of this can be done using
Maxima:

p=expand((1+x+1/y)^10)
maxima.nterms(p)

All somebody needs to do is to rewrite the lisp code for nterms into
python - and there you go!

cheers,
Aladair