This is a dirty solution, but it might be interesting:

It is possible to implement "tail recursion"; this would solve the
problem for certain kinds of recursion; but will fail if the call is
not a tail call, and I think this code won't work, but some variations
would...

I toss it as an idea:

The code is taken from http://code.activestate.com/recipes/474088

import sys

class TailRecurseException:
  def __init__(self, args, kwargs):
    self.args = args
    self.kwargs = kwargs

def tail_call_optimized(g):
  """
  This function decorates a function with tail call
  optimization. It does this by throwing an exception
  if it is it's own grandparent, and catching such
  exceptions to fake the tail call optimization.

  This function fails if the decorated
  function recurses in a non-tail context.
  """
  def func(*args, **kwargs):
    f = sys._getframe()
    if f.f_back and f.f_back.f_back \
        and f.f_back.f_back.f_code == f.f_code:
      raise TailRecurseException(args, kwargs)
    else:
      while 1:
        try:
          return g(*args, **kwargs)
        except TailRecurseException, e:
          args = e.args
          kwargs = e.kwargs
  func.__doc__ = g.__doc__
  return func

@tail_call_optimized
def factorial(n, acc=1):
  "calculate a factorial"
  if n == 0:
    return acc
  return factorial(n-1, n*acc)

 print factorial(10000)
 prints a big, big number,
 but doesn't hit the recursion limit.

@tail_call_optimized
def fib(i, current = 0, next = 1):
  if i == 0:
    return current
  else:
    return fib(i - 1, next, current + next)

print fib(10000)

also prints a big number,
but doesn't hit the recursion limit.

@tail_call_optimized
def say(something):
      print something
      say(something)
say('hello')

If I remember correctly, this code breaks and hangs the computer if
the tail is not a tail call; but there seems to be other solutions in
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/474088 that solve this problem

I would love if sage included a similar decorator; but am not sure of
the implications.

Another alternative is rewriting your code... to use iterations
instead of recursion whenever possible.

Peace.
-Adri'an.