Chris Seberino wrote:

> On Mar 27, 6:04 am, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe one
>> (you? :) ) can implement a catch...
>
> At first I was interested in this change but now I'm wondering if it
> is best the way it is now.
>
> f(x) = .... defines a symbolic object as was previously mentioned.  A
> symbolic object is for analytical results.
>
> It doesn't seem like it would make sense to add any approximation
> relationed functions like n(..) or numerical_integral(..) to a
> symbolic object.
>
> On the other hand,....some may argue that it is best to let the Sage
> user have the freedom to add anything he/she wants to a "symbolic"
> function.
>
> I'm curious what others think.

We already have plenty of approximation functions attached to the
symbolic functions.  I think it's extremely valuable.  For example, it's
very handy for plotting things.

sage: sin(1)
sin(1)
sage: sin(1).numerical_approx()
0.841470984807897

In fact, the first thing n() tries is the numerical_approx() method of
the object.  I think all we have to do is define an
integral.numerical_approx() function that returns the results of
numerical_integral()

Jason