Chris Seberino wrote:

> On Mar 27, 5:58 am, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And I wasn't implying one should always define callable functions, I
>> just meant it is an argument for doing so as often as possible when it
>> is reasonable.  I do not personally always like callable functions,
>> but this is an argument for doing it fairly consistently if you're
>> using variables other than x and you are actually defining functions,
>> not expressions.   That's it.
>
> I'm considering var("a b c .... z") for students' notebook
> initialization and telling them to just use single letter vars just
> like in pencil/paper work.

Actually, this is how Sage used to be.  Now, you can just do:

sage: from sage.calculus.predefined import *
sage: type(b)
<class 'sage.calculus.calculus.SymbolicVariable'>
sage: type(B)
<class 'sage.calculus.calculus.SymbolicVariable'>

to automatically define all single lowercase and uppercase letters as
variables.

However, it might be good for students to see the var() function, like
you proposed.  Then it would be easy for them to extrapolate how to
create a variable theta, for example.

Jason