> > Interesting; I didn't know about this function.  Is there a reason it's
> > not defined for general single-variable expressions (if we give an
> > interval, of course)?
>
> I think the reason is historic, since David Joyner wrote the entire
> Piecewise package and associated functionality before the
> sage/calculus directory existed.   It used to be that the functions
> (like f1 above) had to be polynomials or Python functions...

Yes.  I have toyed with adding this to non-Piecewise functions but it
always ended up being easier to do it "just in time" for my course, so
I haven't done so.  That said, it would not be hard and would be a
very good thing to do.  Also, it wouldn't be hard to add that as an
integration method option (with lots of warnings, "For pedagogical
purposes only"), and probably should be.  I feel like it *is*
somewhere, but I can't remember where - maybe also in Piecewise?

- kcrisman