I am a (would-be) new user of Sage.  My Athlon-processor desktop computer uses
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3.  To protect against
malware, I use the Symantec Endpoint Protection program, which seems to be an
institutional version of the Norton internet security products.  I installed
VMware Player 2.5.2 build 156735 (the most recent version).  I downloaded Sage
3.4 for Windows, checked its MD5sum, and unzipped the downloaded file to
directory d:\sage-vmware-3.4.

When within that directory I click on sage_vmx.vmx, VMPlayer starts up and
eventually shows a "sage login:" prompt, which prompt is immediately preceded
by instructions to type one of the options (1) "notebook", (2) "off", (3)
"manage", or (4) "sage".  Options (1) and (4) appear to be broken:
    (1) When I type "notebook" at the prompt, a screenful of information is
flashed too quick to read.  The"sage login:" prompt then appears again,
together with the same instructions as before.  Towards the end of that
briefly-displayed screen of information, I see an instruction to open Firefox
to some internet address; but because of the very short display time I'm not
able to read that address.
    (2) Typing "off" at the prompt causes VMplayer to shut down, which is the
correct behavior.
    (3) Typing "manage" at the prompt gets me to a "man...@sage:" prompt from
which I can become the Ubuntu root user by typing "sudo su".  This also is
correct behavior.
    (4) When I type "sage" at the prompt, I again get a briefly-displayed
screenful of information followed by a return to the login prompt.

I have no problem running Sage on my notebook computer, on which are installed
the same versions of VMplayer and Sage.  (The notebook computer runs under
Microsoft Windows XP Media Edition with Service Pack 3 and has Symantec
Endpoint Protection.)  However I want to run Sage on my desktop computer, which
has a more comfortable keyboard and much more screen real estate.

Apparently the Windows version of Sage runs under an Ubuntu Linux virtual
machine.  Any instructions should not presume expertise with Linux, an
operating system with regards to which I am a "newbie".  Thanks in advance for
your help.