> > There are a good many patches out there to address small aspect of
> > these problems.  In #4886 and #4887 Timothy Clemans has some good
> > ideas for renaming some variables and making default save periods
> > configurable from the "Settings" page of the notebook.  However, these
> > patches seem to depend on a variety of other patches, some with
> > distinctly different purposes, with #4135 being a major obstacle to
> > freeing up all the dependencies.
>
> > It would be great if somebody who understands the notebook, CSS,
> > templates, and file management were to take the best ideas from these
> > patches and address the core problems in one, or a few, pointed
> > patches.  Unfortunately, I am not that person, but I'd be ready to
> > help and review work done in this direction.  Done right, this might
> > obsolete several other patches and then free up others that would also
> > be welcome enhancements to the notebook.

Yes, Timothy has done a lot of yeoman's work but the patches were not
reviewed and now they are likely bitrotted - and in any case have far
too long a chain of dependencies for easy review.

I agree with Rob that these would be nice - particularly because it
makes *user config* easy.  It looks like setting save_interval to
24*3600 solves a lot of our problems (which indicates to me that
somehow it's not just open worksheets that are saved...) out here,
according to an email I just got - I am very lucky that our admin is
so supportive of Sage!  I can imagine other places where that would
not be the case, and a faculty member or a not-particularly-adept low-
level employee was in charge of this, one who is not going to be able
to make it through server_conf.py.

> I would just forget about all that crap, and write
> something so there can be at most say 30 snapshots for any given
> worksheet. Full stop.  How those 30 are divied out is a matter of
> algorithms, but the simplest choice is just delete all but the 30 most
> recent.

Something like that for a default would be wonderful (and please
please do the same with whatever controls nb.sobj).  Defaults should
be made quite clear and then also clear where they can be changed -
which a lot of the patches discussed in this thread do, I'm not
suggesting that there is all this work which has to be done, more it
has to be organized.  But it might as well be done right, after
William's very good ideas on this are implemented for the default.
Yes, I realize that volunteers myself for it... well, not until after
finals, that's for sure.

- kcrisman