On Apr 23, 5:41 pm, littlemathteacher <relational...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Michael,

Hi Markus,

> thanks.
>
> When I returned home this evening the process and the whole system
> seemed to be frozen as if by memory overload. I slowly tried to close
> some applications and among them accidentally was the bash in which I
> had opened the file manager (by su root) to cd into the sage folder in
> order to run the "make" - and by chain reaction the file manager and
> then the bash with the sage compilation closed.
>
> So I can't even say that the compilation literally crashed or froze,
> only that I am a little too stupid to let it do it's job.

Actually it just takes a while to build LinBox and its Sage extension
if you have little, i.e. less than 300 or so MB memory available. This
does depend on the gcc though an gcc 4.x is worst in that regard than
gcc 3.4.x.

> Maybe it was wrong to put it into the lib folder. I am still new to
> linux and this time a wanted sage not to live in any home directory.
> Which linux folder would you recommend to extract sage into? Maybe it
> was also wrong to run it from within a root bash while logged in as
> user (but in ubuntu I did it just this way).
>
> I made a compressed archive file out of the install.log and now I am
> thinking about where to save is so that it can be linked to.
>
> In the meantime maybe the last lines might be significant to you:
>
> [Code]
<SNIP>
>  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I. -I../../linbox -g -I/lib/
> sage/sage-3.4/local/include/linbox -I/lib/sage/sage-3.4/local/include -
> O2 -DDISABLE_COMMENTATOR -I/lib/sage/sage-3.4/local/include -I/lib/
> sage/sage-3.4/local/include -I/lib/sage/sage-3.4/local/include -g -
> fPIC -I/lib/sage/sage-3.4/local/include -I/lib/sage/sage-3.4/local/
> include/linbox -L/lib/sage/sage-3.4/local/lib -I/lib/sage/sage-3.4/
> spkg/build/linbox-1.1.6/src -I/lib/sage/sage-3.4/spkg/build/
> linbox-1.1.6/src/linbox -I/lib/sage/sage-3.4/local/include -I/lib/sage/
> sage-3.4/local/include -D__LINBOX_HAVE_CBLAS -c linbox-sage.C  -fPIC -
> DPIC -o .libs/linbox-sage.o
>
> [End Code]

I have seen this one take 8 hour on a PS3 since it has only about 220
MB physical RAM available, so no surprises there.

> But please don't put too much effort into helping me make sage run on
> this old notebook, Michael. I've got two other instances of sage
> running fine. And I am getting more and more familiar with using the
> sage notebook online. On the long run this might be better anyway for
> most purposes.

Yes, I would recommend to use a remove Sage server in this case :)

> Thanks again and have a nice evening (or whatever time it is now at
> your location)!

Thanks, and the same to you.

> Markus

Cheers,