> >> This is not a bug.  It's a stupid design decision in Python, which we

Right, I knew that Python ints behaved this way, I was just surprised
that somehow in Sage / didn't change this - I guess it's because most
integer input gets preparsed to Integer, right?

> >> Trust me, I understand that Python's int floor division sucks.   I'm
> >> teaching undergrads about stats using Sage now, and the most obvious
> >> line of code to compute the mean of a list gets the answer totally
> >> wrong because of this problem.  This already caused a lot of
> >> confusion.

Luckily I haven't had that problem - just my own getting weird answers
just now!

> > Good point, I hadn't though about that. We could introduce a size()
> > or cardinality() method that returns an Integer, or possibly infinity.

That sounds useful; there are already other things that have
cardinality() implemented, right?

> We could also redefine len.

I'm not touching that one! :)

Thanks for all the insight,