I overlooked something simple about how animate is supposed to work.
Replace the "bar = ... " to this:

bar             = animate([line([((R-r)*cos(i), (R-r)*sin(i)),
                                (g(i), f(i))
                               ],
                           thickness = thicknessOfBar,
                           rgbcolor=colorOfBar)
                           for i in xsrange(0, rotations*2*pi + step,
step)],
                           xmin=-sizeOfGraph, ymin=-sizeOfGraph,
                           xmax= sizeOfGraph, ymax= sizeOfGraph,
                           figsize=[figuresize,figuresize])

Works for me (note that the Eye of GNOME doesn't show the proper gif
animation (at least in Ubuntu)).

Rado