On May 17, 11:29 am, john_perry_usm <john.pe...@usm.edu> wrote:
> I was under the very vague impression that computer algebra systems a
> la Maple, Mathematica etc. were so-called because they started out
> emphasizing algebraic and symbolic manipulation, and so came out of
> the so-called "computer algebra" community,

Also, can't the limited calculus operations Sage performs be mapped
onto algebra?

I mean....a computer can't do anything involving infinity except to
treat infinity as just another variable that obeys certain algebraic
rules.

So perhaps symbol manipulation itself, which is what all computer
ultimately do, can be thought of as "just" algebra?

Chris