On 21 May 2009, at 12:41, Jaap Spies wrote:

> Kevin Horton wrote:
>> I'm hoping someone can suggest a way to remove an optional spkg,
>> specifically the scitools++ package.
>
> I only see scitools++ in experimental! Experimental packages are
> dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, stay away :)!

I was trying to run some of the examples in doc/live/numerical_sage/
plotting.html.  I made the assumption that it someone had taken the
time to actually write some nice docs, with examples, that things must
be working OK.  Bad assumption.

Now that I know there is no easy way to back out of spkg installs, I
will resort to tarring up my sage installation before doing any
irreversible process.

>> It looks like the scitools++ package may not be compatible with the
>> current numpy and matplotlib packages, and I want to remove it and
>> try
>> scitools-.4 instead.  Is there a way to do this without blowing up
>> and
>> rebuilding my whole sage-4.0.alpha0?
>
> From the spkg-install:
> cd src
> sage -python setup.py install
> cd ..
> cp patches/scitools.cfg $SAGE_LOCAL/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
> scitools/
>
> I think your best bet is:
>
> ./sage -sh
> cd local/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> rm -rf scitools
> exit
> rm spkg/installed/scitools++

Thanks for the suggestion.  Now that sage-4.-.rc0 has dropped, I am
building a new sage.  I will start over with that one.

--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada