On Thu, 21 May 2009 at 07:27PM -0700, flori wrote:
> The following two commands work now
>
> flor...@base:~/sage/sage-3.4$ sudo ./sage factor.sage 2006
> 2 * 17 * 59
>
> and
>
> flor...@base:~/sage/sage-3.4$ sudo ./sage ./factor 2006
> 2 * 17 * 59
>
> In the second case I changed the first line of the file to
>
> #! /path/to/sage -python
>
> as suggested by Kevin
>
> Nevertheless there is still the mess with the execute rights. I am a
> newbie in linux and therefore I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
> with
>
> chmod 777 factor
>
> I gave all right to everybody, but still if I try
>
> flor...@base:~/sage/sage-3.4$ ./sage ./factor 2006
> [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/florian/.sage//temp'
>
> Furthermore I can't start sage with the command sage I need to type
>
> sudo ./sage

My guess is that, when using sudo to run Sage, it created the
$HOME/.sage/temp directory which is only writable by root.

You can fix this with the chown ("change owner") command. From your home
directory, do

    $ sudo chown -R florian:florian .sage

(Obviously, you have to be root to change the owner of a file from
root to someone else.) That will recursively change the owner of all the
files in the .sage directory to you. Then, don't ever run Sage using
sudo again!

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake <dr...@kaist.edu>