Actually, Sage's 2d plotting has a similar problem, though for
different reasons; see http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/3985
.  I believe that in both cases, though, there could be improvement of
"automatic" detecting of the "right" values.

That said, you may want to try something using the command show(), at
least for your second question.  E.g.
sage: P=plot3d(lambda x,y : (bessel_Y(y,x,"scipy",53)).real(),
(-0.002,0.002), (-1,1))
sage: P.show(aspect_ratio=[200,1,1/2000])
yields something approximately like the original graph, though of
course it still includes all values.  For more info, you can look at
sage: P.show?
Unfortunately, something like xmax, xmin in the 2d show command seems
to be missing in 3d plotting; at least, using them is ignored by
Jmol.  So if that is the main thing you are asking for, it is not yet
implemented.

- kcrisman