Hi Boris,

On Jun 25, 12:59 pm, kex <boris.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> just upgraded to 4.02 ...
>
> I´m thinking  what 4.02 really means because sage´s progress is really
> fast, looking from user perspective Sage version numbers are changing
> fast ? How far is this project ? Is there a way to show us users where
> we currently are with current Sage version and what the changes in
> versions offer to users.
> From v3.0 to v4.0 what can we gain by using 4.0 ? If I use 4.0 how
> many of "today know features (how much mathematics,methods,etc)" are
> implemented and how many arent there yet.
>
> I m actually asking just one question I hope I did´t make it too
> confusing.

If you look at the Sage welcome page ( http://www.sagemath.org/ ) you
can see a link "Sage 4.0.2 release tour", namely
http://mvngu.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/sage-4-0-2-released/

As far as I understand, this documents the changes since the last
version. There certainly exist release tours for older versions, too
(I don't know where).

Is there a summary for what changed from sage 3.0 to sage 4.0? I don't
know.

Concerning Sage's features: Also on the Sage welcome page, there is a
link to "Feature Tour", http://www.sagemath.org/tour.html
Certainly such Feature Tour can only give you a very brief overview on
what is in Sage; the reference manual may be suited for deeper study.

I hope that answered a part of your question.

Concerning missing features: Mathematics is, of course, a very wide
field, so, no wish-list can be exhaustive...

But do you have a concrete functionality in mind that you would like
to have? Having something explicit, there is a chance to answer either
- "Yes, it is in Sage, see ...", or
- "There is an optional package for Sage", or
- "Do you have an implementation that you would like to submit to
Sage?"

Best regards,
   Simon