On 13 Jul 2009, at 17:13, Robert Bradshaw wrote:

> In general, we try to avoid modifying the preparser as much as
> possible. Sometimes, we really have to
>
> sage: eval("1/2 + 3^2")
> 1
>
> is really not acceptable (IMHO) for a serious alternative to other
> systems out there

I know what you're getting at, but that's a rather cheeky example. '^'
is the python XOR operator. '**' is the python exponent operator. To
be honest, I'm not sure why sage re-writes '^' as '**'. As long as
there's an operator that does the job, everything is good IMHO.

The bigger point about the pre-parser is reasonable though. It should
only do what's unavoidable (for appropriate values of "unavoidable").