I was asking SAGE to do a calculation that I knew was probably
laborious -- I had a plane curve (over Q) and I wanted its genus.  I
defined it with C=Curve(equation_in_two_variables) and then typed

C.genus()

after a while (I was in the notebook) I just got the mysterious error
message:

delaybeforesend: 0

when I expanded it, at the end there was a lot of stuff, but the
relevant line was

pexpect.TIMEOUT: Timeout exceeded in read_nonblocking().
<pexpect.spawn instance at 0xa1c170c>
command: /u/victor/sage/local/bin/Singular

So, there are two questions:

a) is it possible to give a more informative error message.  It seems
obvious that singular just took
too long in getting back to sage.

b) is it possible to give a longer timeout (if I really want the
answer)?

Victor