On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Kevin Horton<khorto...@rogers.com> wrote:

> Actually, I probably spoke out of turn.  The ":8000" at the end of the
> url specifies the port to use, so https shouldn't be using the default
> port.  But, there could be a firewall preventing port 8000 from
> working, or a port forwarding problem if your server is hiding behind
> a router.
>
> I recall having similar issues connecting to sage over https, but I
> don't recall all the gory details.  I do recall that I had to set up
> ssl certificates, and enable ssh in apache before I could connect with
> https.  Google "enable https ubuntu".
>
> I can connect to your server using http, but not using https.  I think
> the first step is to ensure you can connect to your web server using
> https.  Once you've confirmed that https works, you can then try
> connecting to the sage server.

The Sage notebook run via the notebook command has nothing to do with
apache or your web server.  So that's not the first step, IMHO.

Kevin's other remarks seem very on I'm guessing you have a firewall
setup on that computer which doesn't let anything in except on ports
that have been explicitly opened.

The right command (now that you gave more info) is

   sage: notebook(address="137.205.37.242", port=8000, secure=True)

Questions:

  (1) On that computer itself say from a text console, can you do

   lynx https://137.205.37.242:8000
?

Can you do

   lynx https://localhost:8000

   (2) What happens if you try

   sage: notebook(address="137.205.37.242", port=8000, secure=False)

and http://137.205.37.242

   (3) What happens if you try shutting down apache, then run the
notebook as *root* and type

    sage: notebook(address="137.205.37.242", port=80, secure=True)

and try to connect from some other computer?  Maybe you can't if
you're not root and the university controls root.  (I'm guessing this
box is at Univ of Warwick.)

   (4) Precisely what operating system are you using?  Was it say
Redhat (or similar) setup by the university?  If so, they almost
*surely* have lots of firewall stuff setup completely standard to
avoid malware, hackers, etc.   If this is the case, you must talk to
them and ask them to open up port 8000 so you can run a Sage notebook
server on it and have outside connections.

  (5) Failing all that, you might want to do ssh port forwarding.  I
think Nils Bruin posted some nice instructions about how to do this to
sage-devel once.

 -- William