Hi!

On 17 Aug., 17:41, mrotsliah <mrotsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I followed the instructions for System-wide install found here
>
> http://www.sagemath.org/doc/installation/source.html#installation-in-...
>
> When I log on to the server, I try to run sage, and I see the output
> below.  There is no folder /home/bob/.sage/ipython.  Hitting RETURN at
> the end of the code outputs hundreds of lines stuff.
>
> How would I fix this problem?  Thanks.
>
> $.: sage
> | Sage Version 4.1.1, Release Date: 2009-08-14                       |
> | Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
> cp: cannot stat `/home/bob/.sage/ipython': Permission denied

If I am not mistaken, /home/bob/.sage/ipython is a folder that should
normally be generated once the user "bob" starts sage for the first
time. It contains certain data that bob creates in his Sage sessions,
both including permanent data that remain even after upgrading Sage,
and temporary data that are deleted when Sage is terminated.

And apparently you have no write permission in bob's home directory,
which is indeed strange -- because either you are bob, hence, shoud
have write permission in your home, or you are not bob, and so why
would Sage try to write in his home directory on your behalf?

Best regards,
Simon