> I don't see the problem, because *anything* can be stored as value in
> a dictionary.

Your answer with a dictionary in which are stored variables is pretty
good, though there's a different with what I had in mind :
You first need to define each cell of the dictionary as a variable,
and you have to do it at the beginning, so that all you variable will
be able to live on the same ring... I would have liked to defined a
"dictionary variable" x, once and forever, such that I can afterward
add and multiplicate x["d"] and x["c"]..

> I think there is no easy way, simply because there is no "obvious"
> ring into which both RR['y0, y1, y2'] and RR['x0, x1, x2'] coerce.

What about RR['y0, y1, y2,x0, x1, x2'] ? I think it's obvious enough
( as long as both are RR-rings )

Actually, for the restricted use I will have of polynomials in Linear
Programming, the first question is not so problematic if I can find a
solution to the second one. But why wouldn't we automatically pick the
Ring I mentionned above ? Aren't there tools in Sage to take the
quotient of a ring if the user wants a smaller one ?

Thank you for your answers !! :-)

Nathann